Friday, July 3, 2009

They are Only Rules Afterall




Along with family and friends I took in a Class A game in the California League between the Modesto Nuts, (Colorado Rockies affilliate), and the San Jose Giants, (San Francisco Giants affilliate), the other night. The game was played under the stars on a beautiful warm evening with the Giants destroying Modesto by a tally of 13-1.


I noticed that although both teams were associated with the National League the game was played under the Designated Hitter rule of the American League. This bothers me on so many levels I decided to look up the actual rules as they pertain to the Minor League Baseball system.


Here is what I found:


Pitchers only bat in Class AA and Triple-A. Here are the rules for these leagues...
International—Pitchers only hit when both clubs are NL affiliates


Pacific Coast-- Pitchers only hit when both clubs are NL affiliates and both clubs agree to have their pitchers hit


Eastern-- Pitchers only hit when both clubs are NL affiliates


Southern-- Pitchers only hit when both clubs are NL affiliates
Texas-- Pitchers only hit when both clubs are NL affiliates


I will be brief in my ranting over this because honestly, I can argue this topic for hours on end. Baseball has NO Designated Hitter. There, simply, has never been a rule that allows a player to participate in a game without being a part of the 9 man lineup. The rule, (Designated Hitter), completely removes strategy from a game that, let's face it, lacks the non stop action of Football or Basketball. Baseball is a cerebral contest where a manager must out think his counterpart to the point that he is every bit as much a part of a victory or a loss as his players on the field.


Please tell me, why an American League team needs a Manager? A pitching coach could easily decide when to replace one pitcher for another and a hitting coach could just as easily fill out a lineup card or put a play on. There is zero strategy when playing under the rule. No need to argue, what would I do instead if I were the manager. An individual pitchers hitting ability neither adds or detracts any value when considering him as a member of the team.


Let me know what you think and I will address it here. Baseball is great and the American League is fun to!!

No comments:

Post a Comment