Friday, August 7, 2009

Dodgertown.........Or Never Never Land?



I watched the Dodgers and Braves last night and when it ended I shook my head vigorously just to be sure I hadn't drifted off to sleep and dreamed another fantastic finish. My sister coined the acronym, A A A T T, a few weeks ago. Simply it means All Andre, All The Time. It refers to the season long heroics of the Dodgers right fielder Andre Ethier. Once my head stopped shaking I quickly realized that it was indeed real. The Dodgers had done it again.
When does the incredible become ordinary? If it happens all of the time is it any less miraculous? I have to say that this season, like no other I have ever experienced, has been filled with one improbable moment after another. Vin Scully has said, "This is more Hollywood than Hollywood". I think it may even be more than that.
The 2009 Dodgers are a Fairytale. Could AllStar Orlando Hudson be Snow White's Prince or Casey Blake be Peter Pan? After all Manny Rameriz has a Kingdom, Mannywood, named in his honor. It seems that almost nightly the Dodgers have another fairytale story represented by still another magical hero that rides in on his powerful white horse to save the day.
Sitting in the stands the night Manny hit his first pitch Grand Slam to break a 2-2tie against the Reds all I could say was "WOW". Last night was much the same. It seems that watching a Dodger player mobbed at the end of another improbable victory would become blase' but it doesn't. It just continues to be as thrilling as all of the incredible deeds performed by magical heroes in far away kingdoms we remember hearing about as children.
A A A T T? I don't think so. You can't fit Sir Lancelot into that acronym.
While it lasts enjoy it. Watch every episode of this compelling fairytale we call Dodgertown while it lasts because magic must be enjoyed and it is happening now in 90090.

No comments:

Post a Comment