Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 10, 2010 Number 3 is Gone

I took this photograph of Willie Davis at Fan Appreciation day at Dodger Stadium in 1970. Just to be there was thrilling but to be so near my favorite Dodger was almost more than I could stand. At that time I had my bedroom decor in what I will call Early Dodger Colonial with the centerpiece being a full color poster of Dodger Centerfielder Willie Davis. Before that September day in 1970 the closest I had been to him was either when the Dodgers visited the Giants at Candelstick Park or listening to descriptions of his exploits over the airwaves as described by Vin Scully. To this day I think Willie was as exciting a player I have ever seen. His 1'st to third speed was second to none and had he played in another era with the mound lowered and pitching talent diluted his numbers would have been astronomical. With all of that said, it was the way I felt when I rooted Willie and the Dodgers on that endeared me to him so strongly. It is the saddness I feel today, with his passing, that reminds me of all he gave to me and others all those years ago. Willie Davis will be missed, this I am sure of, because if no one else remembers I know I do.
Take care Willie.

No comments:

Post a Comment